Fuel pump still running???????????

Hallo again, I'm still dealing with a 76 alfetta gt fuel pump that won't shut off after priming.
 I found the shut of solenoid, and it appeared to be fine, however the shut off enertia switch had been previously jimmy riged by a previous owner(not connected at all. Instead there were two orange wires and one black twisted together right below it. I can disconect the black one and there is no noticable difference, but if I disconnect the two orange ones the fuel pump is off when in pre-start position, however when started it idles rough and, wont drive right at all(no power). The problem here is my car back fires when slowing down alot(a problem directly attributed by the manual to be fuel cut off related), so I'm assuming the fuel pump is on full blast all the time, but really dont know? could it still be the cut off solenoid, or the enertia switch,,,,,Fuel pump????????? Help!!!!!!!!!! please

 Todd