Chroming ( again )

Robin,

After reading the responses from Biba and Bill Sinclair I have to say my piece, which comes from RECENT experience.

My duetto has the original mirrors ( no logo or part number cast into the main mirror housing and the "stippling" on the base ) mounted on the fenders ( as fitted from the FACTORY - I bought the car from the original owner ). They came with the car with the glass out and completely pitted and cracked ( around the ball joint on the base ).

I took them apart before taking them to the chrome shop, which is a fairly easy job - don't worry about breaking the glass out 'cuz it's cheap. He completely repaired the bases and housing better than new. I then put them back together and took them to a local glass shop which glued in new glass for around $30. The reproductions out there are either incorrect ( logo cast in main housing and smooth base ) or are the wrong size ( bought some that looked just like stock - sold-em on ebay. mounting holes too close together ) . I used stainless steel screws with nylon locking juts to reattach them to the car.

You can do this. There is nothing like the original ones in the original mounting position, even it it's a pain to use them. If you're going to be at the national convention my car will be in the concours on Sunday .

Good luck,

Dan Walker