GTV VIN Numbers (like watching grass grow, I'm sure)

The gracious Signora Ruocco responded to my inquiry in less than 24 hours, as
follows:

>Dear Sir,
>With reference to your request we are informing you as follows.
>According to our register the chassis number AR 3025718 originally
>corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce manufactured on the 26th
>November 1974. The body color is Alfa red with black interiors. The engine
>originally fitted to this car is the following: 013912.
>There are not any further information about this car.
>Yours Sincerely,
>Archivio Storico Alfa Romeo
>Elvira Ruocco

Thatsa my car!  Colors and engine number match, although the build date is a
month later than the door plate claims (the unpainted body was probably
sitting out in the back lot "aging" for that month...).  No indication that
the car was for export to the USA, but as previously noted, the car is marked
as a 115.01 so no reason to think it isn't.  The presence of Euro cams means
nothing significant, obviously some PO swapped them in.

The round side marker lights appear to be original to the car, there is no
evidence inside or outside of any fender that holes were filled or patched.
They are Carello brand, the plastic lenses (amber front, red rear) are marked
14.103.717 and are approx. 36mm diameter in a shiny metal base (looks more
like polished aluminum than chrome) of approx. 45mm, with a black rubber
gasket protecting the fender.

The only other unusual item in this car is the heater/vent control faceplate
on the console.  This car has a black plastic faceplate with red and blue
graphics and a hooded light at the top.  I've only seen this style in '80's
Spiders, but maybe other mid-70's Alfas had this?  I've poked around the cars
of other AROO members and can't seem to find another car with exactly the
setup I have.  The console appears to be original to the car.

So, 1974 or 1975?  I was of the belief that Alfa did not send Giulia GTV's to
the USA after the 1974 model year, but am I misinformed?  In the normal scheme
of things, I'd think my car would be considered a 1975 model year.  Still,
it's easy to think the first owner ordered it late in the 1974 model year, and
did not take delivery until early 1975 due to a production backlog.  Either
way, you can add this VIN to your lists, it's sittin' in my garage so I can
vouch for its existence.

OK, enough of pondering my navel lint in public, let's get back to arguing
about Ferrari's F1 team!

Tony
Portland, OR
74ish GTV 2000