Latin aphorisms

Well, Caesar probably didn't actually say veni vidi vici, but it reads well in the history books. As for the reverse saying, I'm intrigued that the Romans included a word which clearly seems to be a translation of modern English slang, how prescient. Quaere: how did the useage become lost only to be..er...revived in the late twentieth century. I confess to no expertise in lewd lingo, but it seems a stretch so to speak. I did see the phrase on a pair of underpants (panties even) in the window of a shop I assumed to specialize in such things. I did, perhaps too hastily, assume a complete ignorance of Latin on the part of the proprietor thereof, not to say purveyor.

My favourite automotive related "latin" saying appears to have been coined by Automobile magazine and should be every performance driver's credo: cogito ergo zoom...with apologies to old Rene who I'm sure felt he'd said something infinitely more profound if practically useless...especially for the performance driver.

You know, Mazda missed something there with their rather weird and cult like soom soom soom background mantra for their recent ads.

So: points for correctly spelling Caesar (though the claim that we know how the dead language of Latin was pronounced is shall we say suspect? as in who knows eh?) and points for obscure references to the off colour posts about vvv ,au verso so to speak, and points for knowing how to correctly use Quaere in a sentence, points for use of latin terms camouflaged as English, and points for the automotive relevance tenuously made. Lastly, points for knowing the origin of the correct quotation assuming both that my readers will know the correct quote as well as the full name of the source.

Cheers, and yes veni vidi vici is not an aphorism, that was my point.

Now about that camber.....
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L