VIN numbers vs manufacturing date

Believe I've told this story before, but...

This is geared primarily to CA residents who want to 'correct' their
registration to reflect the build date rather than when first sold.

I'd mentioned this to a friend who teaches at Art Center, but whose main
job is investigating automobile accidents and if necessary testifying in
court. He gave me two photocopied pages of the N.A.D.A. (?)  Official
Used Car Guide, Pacific Southwest Edition, January 1977a copy of the
cover and page I-1 which covers Alfa Romeo (Italian) 1976-72.

I should mention I wanted to re-register my so-called '76 Alfetta GT as
a '75. The date on the plastic tab on the driver's door sill says 10/75.

While it doesn't give the VIN numbers for '75 it does for '76 and it was
obvious my number fell below (as in older) than the beginning '76 VIN
number.

After waiting in line with my car, literally, for hours at the Covina
DMV, a lady 'waited on me'. I showed her the plastic tag on the door
sill and gave her a copy of my copy of the N.A.D.A page. She disappeared
inside for almost an hour and came back saying she had gone through
every book they had, found nothing on my car, they didn't have a copy of
the N.A.D.A. book, but was willing to accept the information I had given
her. She signed a sheet saying it is a '75.

I had stupidly forgot to bring my 'pink slip', so still have to go back
and finish up the re-registering. Believe the fee is $50 and it takes
about 30 to 45 days.

I'll admit I was (very) late in sending in my registration and it might
have been for this reason or the fact I asked to have the date changed
on my registration, but was forced to have my car smog tested at a (CA)
Test Only Center.

So if one is contemplating this, be prepared for the CA Test Only Center
and in finding a copy of the appropriate N.A.D.A. book.

Not sure if they'll take Ms. Ruocco's word or not. I assume she emails
back. That being the case, would be oh so easy to fiddle the email and
then print outso doubt if they would.

Good luck,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA