RE: Octane and engine health

<snip>
> I asked the question because during practice for time trials with a stock
> (well, S-cams) 3L V6 engined Verde, the engine suddenly lost power, oil
> pressure went to Zero, and the temp went very high (red light), and by the
> time I heard the engine noise through my helmet, it was too late.
<snip>
>89 Milano with a dead engine (in the transplant waiting list)
<snip>

If you're engine failure was octane/pinging related, then I'd expect to find
some melted pistons when you tear it down.  While it doesn't mean it
couldn't happen, I've never heard of a detonation originated engine failure
to occur so suddenly.

Have you done any diagnostics to your current motor to see why it failed?
Maybe a ground wire fell off, causing the gauges to all read zero and the
engine to die..

I'd do a post mortem on your existing motor before going for a transplant.
Maybe the failure is catastrophic, maybe it isn't, but you want to find out
what it was so you can avoid similar problems in the future.

bs