Re: Twin Spark=power? Di Matteo

At 10:55 AM 6/9/02, FERDINANDO DI MATTEO wrote:
>As I see it, even now, fuel delivers just so much energy per drop.  When
>the cylinder is filled with the combustible a single spark plug ignites
>it and before yjr entire charge expands to push the piston down, the
>gases begin to escape out of the exhaust port, even more at higher rpm.
>With twin spark the combustible is ignited at two spots at the same time
>which creates more push sooner and wastes less fuel while increasing
>efficiency. More power?

Yep. The faster the pressure rise rate, the more power and the greater the
efficiency. Which is why, for equal compression ratios at WOT, a spark
(Otto cycle) engine is more efficient than a Diesel cycle engine. The
Diesel's rate of burn  (and therefore rate of pressure rise) is limited by
the rate at which the fuel is injected.

A twin plug head comes closer to the ideal of constant volume combustion
than a single plug does.

Greg