loud glasspack

Tess wrote:

>I'm still living with a hole in the center muffler of my Spider that
>isn't bad enough yet to bother me. Perhaps it accounts for
>my air-headedness, though, who knows. Anyway, when the center muffler on
>my Audi sedan went south, I put in a high-flow cat, a glasspack center
>muffler, and then a Magnaflow for the rear exhaust. I didn't choose
>this, I just went to a local hot-rod/race-prep shop and asked the owner
>for his recommendation and then trusted him. And I'm glad I did! When I get
>ready to re-do the muffler on my Spider (like, when I become a
>millionaire), I will do the same thing for her -- I like the sound of the
>Magnaflow THAT much. This system also gained me a little bit of
>horsepower too, although I haven't dynoed the car so I don't know how
>much. I'm just going by a "seat of the pants" interpretation of how the
>car behaves under acceleration.

I just had exhaust done for my 74 GTV by Portland Muffler.  I like a little
noise, so I opted for 2.5" exhaust.  I had a Magnaflow placed where the
factory 2nd muffler goes, just ahead of the axle, and a glasspack placed
behind the axle between the tank and the spare well.  The glasspack in not
like the units I remember from my hotrod youth, it is much more substantial,
with a steel liner that doesn't look like it will allow the batting to blow
out easily.  This setup has a bit of an odd, flat note at idle (think UPS
truck), but sounds great anywhere off idle and just sings when the throttle is
open.

I know this flies in the face of the "use the stock exhaust, Alfa made it
best" logic, but for what ever reason, I had a vision of the exhaust system I
wanted on this car, and that's what I got.  Makes me happy, so what the heck?

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS