Re: muffler

Hey Pat,
       Yes, a single glasspack is going to be loud.  I would recommend a
free-flow Corvair  or Wagner Turbo muffler for better sound control.  These
mufflers were legendary back in the late '60s and '70s among the Muscle Car
crowd for their low packpressure and reasonable decibel level.  I have a pair
on my '69 Firebird and eliminated the twin resonator/single muffler design
from the factory.  The sound is reasonable at full throttle.
       For my '89 Spider, I eliminated the center muffler and kept the
catalytic convertor and an AlfaRicambi rear muffler.  It's on the loud side
of reasonable.  If you're going with a single muffler, I think you want a
muffler that is free-flow plus good sound control.  The glasspack satisfies
the first requirement but flunks the second.
       Check out the Summit Racing Catalog for several companies that carry a
Corvair Turbo-style muffler - DynoMax, Thrush, Edelbrock, Hooker, Flowmaster,
Summit.  I realize these are not names we are used to seeing on the Alfa
Digest, but stay away from the glasspacks!  You think it's loud now?  Just
wait for a few thousand miles when you've blown all the fiberglass out.  Then
you will know what LOUD really means!

Cheers,
Charlie