Steering gear removal help needed

OK, I'm trying to remove the steering gear in my 1974 Spider, US car,
left hand drive. Its supposed to slide out but I don't see how. Steering
wheel is off, the shaft clamp just below the steering wheel is loose.
Steering gear bolts are out and the idler arm is off. The gear has
moved and isn't fastened in, it is however tight. I expect dirt or rust
on the steering shaft but thats ok, I can deal with it being tight. My
problem is that I see no way at all this thing can slide out far
enough to allow the steering shaft to slip out. I pulled the gear down
and it hits a hard brake line just before it would hit the upper
control arms inside mounting point. I could probably spin the steering
gear if I remove my headers but even with that I don't see the gear
coming out. Whats the secret? Removing the header will require cutting
the exhaust pipe so I'd like to avoid that but if I'm sure thats all I
need then ok, I'll cut the pipe and remove the header. Can someone who
has done this on a left hand drive Spider let me know what I need to
do?
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help,

Ed
Loveland, CO.