octane and engine health

It's been discussed many times here.  I don't know if this question has been
answered, though:
I understand that higher octane than recommended in a street engine will not
add horsepower.  But will it protect the engine from knocking under more
extreme driving, such as time trials?
Here in California we have to get 91 octane gas now.  And it's probably ok
for the street.  However, if after getting relatively hot at the track, the
engine would start knocking, I would propose that a mix with higher octane
gas may prevent that.
Would like to see a discussion, or at least a reference to where I can read
about it.

Jorge Mazlumian
89 Verde with toast engine at the track (91 octane)