Re: Modified Spider ECU? and EFI parts wanted

>Does anyone know if there is a modified ECU for the Bosch injected spiders?

I don't know about modified ECUs, but if you are serious about more flexible
fuel injection/engine management (to match better airflow, either normally
aspirated cams/valves/head or forced induction), then have a think about
aftermarket programmable systems.

As with most electronics the prices of these keep coming down and the
capabilities improving. There are heaps of options, from high end systems
like Motec, mid range like Haltech, Autronic to simpler/cheaper systems such
as Link, Microtech, Wolf, EMS etc - some of which cost as little as about
$500US. Most of these do both injection and ignition (as with the Bosch
Motronic, although most will let you do direct spark, so no distributor
needed), you can also get injection only systems which are cheaper again.
Many systems include closed loop, idle speed, boost control and other
options. Generally programmable from either a hand controller or laptop, the
added cost of course being the dyno time to get it tuned. But ultimately it
seems to be that these should be a much better solution than an ECU that has
been modified for one particular engine configuration, which may not match
yours.

Just a thought...  I haven't tried it yet, but would be keen to talk with
anybody who has, particularly with forced induction.

On the same subject - I'm looking for an inlet manifold, plenum, fuel rail,
and maybe a few other EFI bits from a Bosch injected spider (either L-Jet or
Motronic). Has anybody got anything that is lying about they'd be prepared
to sell? I'm in NZ, but shipping isn't that expensive, and a neighbour is a
pilot who flys to the west coast of the US on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce