RE: Chicagoland Digesters

Roger,

I live in West Dundee which is 5 miles south of Algonquin. Illinois has smog
testing in our area, for your '78
Spider it would be an idle test. I understand that a well tuned carbed 2L
can pass the test. Talk to Mike Besic of Besic Motorsports in Glen Ellyn, he
is the Chicago AROC tech advisor and has a great deal of test tweaking
experience. The first link is to the Illinois EPA vehicle emissions test
site.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/index.html

The second link is to the Secretary of State site, our version of the DMV.
Antique vehicles must be 25 years old.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/antique.html

Since your vehicle is a 78 MY it doesn't qualify yet. However, I believe the
program works this way. The vehicle is tested biannually in the odd and even
years for odd and even MY cars. In my experience the car will not be called
in the year it is registered, thus your 78 would probably not be called in
until 2004. Since it would then be over 25 years old you could register it
as an antique. In Illinois the antique rules are pretty restrictive, by the
letter of the law, I do not believe that they are enforced very much at all.

Good luck, and I hope you will consider join the Chicago AROC chapter. We
have a lot of cool events coming up this summer and fall, including our
great "Fall Challenge at Road America" at Elkhart Lake Wisconsin. Visit our
website at: http://www.caroc.com/

John Katos
West Dundee, IL
CAROC member

Looks like my new job will take me from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to
Algonquin, Illinois (western suburb of Chicago).  What sort of smog testing
is done there?

I registered my weberized '78 Spider as a classic to avoid the smog test in
Pennsylvania - Is there a way to avoid it in Illinois?

Thanks for any advice,
Roger Hambro
'78 Spider
Pittsburgh, PA soon moving to Chicago suburb.