Falken Azenis at Buttonwillow

I  drove my GTV-6 with new Falken Azenis (205/50/15) at Willow Springs
a couple of months ago, and found myself at the back of the race pack.
Then I took them this past weekend to Buttonwillow to race in the Alfa
Cup. Again, I was at the back of the pack all day Saturday and Sunday
morning. So far back, that, after four or five laps, the entire pack
was half a lap in front of me (gets boring driving all by yourself!) I
thought the engine was very weak, or that I was an incredibly bad
driver. (which might also be true!)

For the last practice, Sunday after lunch, Larry Jr. (of APE fame)
loaned me his 225/50/15 somewhat old Kumho Victoracers. As I mentioned
to him after the practice, the tires definitely removed the "pucker
factor". I had literally been wondering at every corner whether I would
get around it without sliding off in to the wild yonder. With the
Victoracers, that concern was just about gone.

More astounding (to me, anyway) was that I was no longer alone, half a
lap behind, but was actually passing people. Started 8th, finished 6th
after spinning on the very last corner. Had that not happened, and if
another car had not spun in front of me as I was overtaking yet
another, I would have been 4th.

The point ain't my driving, it's the tires--do NOT (as some have
suggested--including me) expect to do well on the Azenis at the track.
Not only that, but I was appalled at the amount of wear on the outside
front tire--almost as much as a really sticky donut!

I do think they are a great bargain as a sticky (sorta) road tire, but
not as a competition one!.

happy driving :o]
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com