Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce (running well with NGK BP7EVX plugs)

At 12:20 AM 6/4/2002, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:13:19 -0500
From: "Greg McNair" <gmcnair@domain.elided>
Subject: Fouling plugs, 84 Spider

I have an 84 Spider Veloce w/ the Bosch fuel injection system.  It continues
to foul the #2 and #3 plugs.  The mixture is very rich as evidenced by black
smoke exiting the pipes.  I have done the following:

Installed new NGK 5ES plugs gapped at .025 each
Verified that each plug is getting good spark
Cleaned all distributor contacts
Changed the fuel filter and verified good fuel pressure
Replaced each intake manifold sleeve w/ new
Checked proper position of all vac and fuel evaporator lines by comparing mine
to a friends 85 that runs like a champ, also
    verifying that each line was good, i.e. no air leaks
Verified that each cylinder has good compression

This car sat for almost 3 years without a weekly regimen of driving at least a
couple miles.  I drained the fuel from the tank, and what was there was not
varnished, so someone had been keeping somewhat fresh gas in it long enough to
wrench on it from time to time.  The car will start up right away and idle
fine for about 3 minutes.  I can drive it a couple of miles, and during my
return trip to my garage, it begins to run as if on 3 cylinders, and by the
time it's in the driveway, the idle is very poor.  Any suggestions?  I do know
the oxy sensor wire has been cut at the sensor, rendering it useless, so I
have purchased a replacement.  I have yet to install it because the monkey
ahead of me distorted the ever-living-pee out of the old one.  The new one has
a 7/8" head, where the currently installed appears to have a metal sleeve over
it.  Does that metal sleeve pop off exposing a 7/8" head?  If so, then I know
why the previous person destroyed it.  I'd like to know only so I don't go
prying off a metal cap that may require staying put.  Could my problems be
traced to that oxy sensor being disconnected?  If not entirely a culprit, what
is causing the rich mixture?  Or is it just a matter of running some B12
Chemtool injector cleaner in it and driving it to burn the cobwebs out?  Any
help is appreciated!

Greg