Re: Where is my Giulia SZ

on 6/3/02 6:00 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:09:11 -0400
> From: James Cook <james@domain.elided>
> Subject: Where is my Giulia SZ??
>
> Curious about the giulia sz
> I have never seen one listed for sale anywhere, rarely hear folks mention
> them.
> are they extremely rare? Will I ever own one?
>
> Thanks,
> - --
> James Cook
> '71 GTV
> Toronto

As far as I can tell from my sources, There is no Giulia SZ. There were only
Giulietta SZs. There were two series: the first 170 SZ-1 models were made
from 1960-1962 and 30 more SZ-2 models with slightly revised bodywork were
made in 1962. Although, none of my sources mention it, it is POSSIBLE that
in such a small production run, that the last of the SZ-2s made in 1962 were
built on Giulia chassis with the 1600 engine as '62 was the changeover year
from the Giulietta to the Giulia models.

According to the "Sports Car Market" magazine's 2002-2003 'pocket price
guide', a Giulietta SZ-1 is worth between US$65,000 and US$80,000 while a
Giulietta SZ-2 is worth between US$75,000 and US$95,000. No mention is made
of a Giulia SZ in this guide.

OTOH, The Zagato bodied GTZ (also known as the Tubolare Zagato, although GTZ
really means Gran Turisimo Zagato) IS a Giulia-based car. It is listed in
"Sports Car Market" magazine's 2002-2003 'pocket price guide' as well and it
too was in two series The GTZ-1 (about 100 examples were built in '63 -'64)
is listed as being worth between US$175,000 and US$210,000 And the extremely
rare GTZ-2 (10-12 examples of which were built in '64 - '65) is listed as
being worth between US one million dollars and US$1,250,000!

So the answer to your question is yes, they are rare. And if, indeed, any
Giulia SZs were made by Zagato, they are basically undocumented and probably
don't amount to any more than a few examples. As to whether you'll ever own
one. That depends on how deep your pocketbook is and whether you are willing
to wait. Cars of this pedigree RARELY show up for sale in the normal way,
and most end up at prestigious classic car auctions such as Barrett-Jackson.

Be aware that both SZs and TZs are fairly easy to fake, and there are more
than a few of these bogus cars around. These cars vary in quality and have
no paperwork. If you run across a fake one that is being sold as a fake, and
you don't care (especially with the SZ since it's chassis is more-or-less
identical to the Giulietta sprint), you might be able to pick one up for
US$15,000 or so. The fake TZs OTOH, might look like TZs but the DeDion rear
suspension and inboard rear brakes are more difficult to counterfit, and
most don't try. This makes bogus TZs fairly easy to spot.

I hope this answer's your questions.