reversed distributor

On my 73 Spider, the  PO had reversed the rotor in the Marelli distributor.
In doing so, he had to break off the little square peg on it so that it would
fit in the reverse position. When correctly installing a new rotor, I had to
reverse the wires on the distributor to get it to run. In other words,
instead of #1 firing on the forward position of the distributor, it is now
the rear position, etc. What gives? Can the driving dog at the bottom of the
distributor shaft be installed reversed? That is the only thing I can
figure....... and I dont see any harm in it being this way. Am I missing
something?
      randy long