RE: Shankle springs & Spring spacers

> Anyone out there know if the Shankle springs for 105
> cars are red?  According to the receipts that came
> with my gtv, one of the previous owners bought and
> installed Shankle aftermarket springs on the car and I
> am trying to figure out if those are the ones
> currently on the car (they are red).  It surprises me
> that the springs seem kind of soft, for sport springs
> that is (I can push down the car by hand pretty
> easily. In comparison my spider hardly moves with the
> same amount of force).

Shankles methodology was to go with real stiff swaybars and mildly stiffer
springs.  W&D's methodology was to go with real stiff springs and mildly
stiffer swaybars.  So a Shankle spring will be stiffer than stock, but not
nearly as stiff as a W&D spring.

> The problem I am having is that the right rear tire
> (205/55x15) occassionally rubs on the inside of the
> top lip of the fender when the car is loaded.

Every Spider I've installed Shankle springs on has required a lot of spacers
in the rear - with just the springs the tires rub the fenders.  Seems to me
that on my Spider even the thickest available spacers weren't thick enough,
with the wider tires I ended up needing over 1" of additional height.  (As
an aside, switching to W&D springs didn't help, I still needed the thick
custom spacers).

bs