RE: Euro 105 headlights

I think the notion that European lights draw too much current for the switches, wires, etc. is a misconception. Although I'd encourage everyone to install relays to protect their headlight switches, I've seen discussions among Audi owners of going as far as replacing all the wiring. Now I'm not an expert, and could be wrong, but if you install the the stock Euro lights and bulbs (such as 60/55 H4s, as opposed to something radical like 110W), your switches and wires shouldn't have any more current drawn through them than they were designed for. I think it's highly unlikely that they'd equip US-spec cars with lower-quality switches and wiring just because our headlights use a piddling 5W less power. Just my two cents...

At 3:55 PM -0400 5/31/2, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:17:11 -0400
From: "Henry Kim" <henry.kim@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Euro 105 headlights

Dana:

I went to 60/55 H4s on my Porsche 911.  I was warned by several people
that there would be too much current running through the headlight
switch so I installed a relay.  I would think that the same would apply
to your Guilia.

I bought a kit from a fellow on the Porsche list.  The kit was only a
couple bucks more than the parts and it included all the instructions
and was assembled nicely.  I can give you his email address if you want.

Henry