Re: 115 GTV headlight trim rings

--- Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided> wrote:
> ok, i need some suggestions.
>
> [. . .]i can't get the left side to turn, either.

Richard,

Have you loosened the holding screws on the headlight
retaining ring?

I just went through this exercise on my 115 Spider.
There are three small screws that fit through the
slotted receivers in the headlight retaining ring.
You need to loosen (but not remove!) them, especially
if there's a lot of dirt and crud holding things
together.

You may be able to get some leverage by pressing on
the headlight itself -- on my car the light was stuck
to the retaining ring enough that turning the lamp
meant the ring turned as well.

Getting them back in required the little buttonhook
that came with my screwdriver kit -- did you see the
movie "Braveheart"?  This looks like the thing that
the executioner brandished at Mel Gibson shortly
before the axe fell, only scaled for a Ken &
Barbie-sized re-enactment.  The hook slips nicely
under the edges of the metal retaining rings and gives
you rotational grip and leverage.

Oh, and one other thing I'd thought of but didn't have
to try: WD-40 followed by Brakleen, the WD-40 to slip
between the layers of metal, and the Brakleen to
degrease the surface so you could stand a chance of
gripping it later.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.