Re: Cylinder Liner Clamps

       A bit more to my posting on making Alfa cylinder liner hold down
clamps from plumbing pipe.  Since I am home, I measured the clamps I made.
       The black iron pipe I used for the cylinder hold down clamps is known
as 3/8 inch.  However, it measures about 1/2 inch or 13 mm inside and about
11/16 or 17 mm outside.  So why is it called 3/8 ?
       Anyway, the inside diameter is perfect for slipping over 12 mm head
studs.  The four cylinder hold downs measure about 4 1/2 inches long.  The
V-6 hold downs are slightly longer at 4 3/4 or 4 13/16 inches long.  The
exact length is not critical as the head bolt will screw down and compensate
for some variance.
       The washers for the four cylinder Alfa have a 1/2 inch hole, an
outside diameter of about 1 3/8 inches and they are about 1/8 inch thick.
They are starting to deform after building several engines, so maybe I should
use two per head stud.  For the four cylinder, I use four hold downs.  Two go
between cylinders 1 and 2, the other two go between 3 and 4.  I guess you
could get away with just two clamps for the four cylinder engine.
       For the V-6, Milano 2.5 in my case, you need eight hold down tubes and
four straps.  The straps are 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 5 inch steel.  Each of the four
straps has two half inch holes 3 1/2 inches on center.  One strap goes
between each of the three cylinders per bank, or four straps total.

       We are off to race Heartland Park in Topeka (Kansas) this weekend.
Our 1984 SCCA ITB Alfa Spider is pretty much ready!

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City