pilot bearing thanks

Thanks to Jim Lambert, Tony Sims, Paul Novak, Carson Damm and Matt Danning for
their helpful responses on my pilot bearing removal.  First I had to try
Carson's suggestion of using bread instead of grease just because it was so
hilarious.  Even with using a tighter fitting socket (per Paul) it wouldn't
budge.  I then tried Paul and Jim and Matt's alternative suggestion of
checking with auto Zone for a free loaner of a puller.  It fit on my slide
hammer and caught much better than my home-made hook.  Still no joy, it was
pulling out little chunks of bronze!  I finally resorted to Tony Sims' hammer
and chisel method and found the reason the other tried and true methods hadn't
worked.  There is a recess in the pilot hole of the crankshaft (presumably for
packing grease) and the transmission input shaft had beaten some of the bronze
into this recess - making it impossible for it to slide out as it should.  I
think this occurred because my bellhousing bolts were loose.  Transmission is
back in and passed the 'round the block driving test this afternoon - hooray!
Special thanks to fellow digester Skip Patnode for his hands-on help and
advice in getting me back on the road.  Hope the grease washes out, Skip.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpfulness.

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto