My UK insurance findings.

For the UK people here,

I just re-insured my Giulia Super and here's what I found:

The car is a 1971 Giulia 1300 Super with the running gear from a 1975
Berlina 2000. That means it has the engine, gearbox, propshaft, rear axle,
hubs and brakes from the Berlina. I got this information from the previous
owner, after I had bought the car.

I live near Dartford and the car is garaged at home. I have 2 other cars for
daily driving, no negatives against me (you know - claims, tickets etc) and
I'm 35, work in IT and single.

Most expensive quote was from Lancaster, cheapest from Peter Best.

List of quotes (in UK pounds):

Lancaster 307
RAC Classic 257
Graham Sykes 256
Firebond 235
Classicline 172
Nortons 170
Lynbrook 129
Peter Best 128

The AROC UK club insurance agents, yet again, were a failure. It's a most
bizarre arrangement. You ring Westbury and they tell you to call Chris
Knott. You call Chris Knott and they tell you to call Nortons who end up
being ok but still not competetive. Why the Alfa Romeo club can't have a
normal arrangement to insure the kinds of cars most of us drive is beyond
me. Last time I rang about my 75 QV, I was told that they wouldn't be
competetive. When I pointed out that they're they AROC brokers, they replied
that they really only deal with the the kind of guy who drives a 75 1.8 or
similar. I bet they must insure a whole shitload of 1.8 75s in the UK!

Carol Nash said they don't touch modified cars. Good to see they have their
finger on the pulse. I wonder how many classics haven't been modified
somehow?

Does anyone notice any pattern above? 3 of the 4 most expensive quotes were
from the biggest (at least judging by their advertising) brokers.

I have to say that virtually all of the brokers were very pleasant and easy
to deal with. I had to wait a long time on hold for a couple of the more
expensive quotes. Nortons, Lynbrook and Peter Best, as far as I was
concerned were all in with a shout.

The clincher was that Peter Best place the cover with Ecclesiastical. I hope
that, being Church-related, that Ecclesastical will be decent should any
claim arise. In addition, I got free glass cover (no excess) and only a #50
excess. They also let me split the premium in 3 chunks which really helps
even with such a small premium. I'm quite curious how they would manage to
find a replacement windscreen for a Giulia Super, however. I can't believe
the Autoglass can just order one up. Peter Best are also in Maldon, Essex so
if they screw up, I just blast up the M25 and give em a slap!

I also tried AON but when I rang their classic car number at 1 in the
afternoon, I got an answerphone telling me they were closed after 5pm. I
tried one of the other numbers at the same office several times (it was
engaged) until I was put on hold for several minutes. If they're that much
trouble when you want to give them money, I shudder to think what claims are
like.

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV
1993 Mini
1990-ish Rotax 125cc/Gbox kart