Re: Spring Loaded Bleeder Valves

Hi Lawrence and Group:

I have SpeedBleeders on all the calipers and the slave cylinder of my '74
Spider, and I agree that they work very well.  But, there were a few
problems about 2 years ago, when I initially installed them.

First, I bought them direct from SpeedBleeders.com, and 2 out of the 5 I
bought were defective from new.  The internal spring valves were stuck in
the open position, so they behaved exactly as normal bleed screws would
have.  SpeedBleeders replaced them, at no cost to me, but it took a few
e-mails and a few weeks.  Second, there is a sealing compound of some sort
that keeps air from bleeding back past the threads when the screws are
actually being used to bleed the system.  The compound is red-colored and
kind of rubbery-feeling, and is painted on the screw threads in a thin
layer.  Unfortunately, the brake fluid I chose to fill the system was a
solvent for that sealer and it all just dissolved into a red goo, rendering
the screws temporarily useless.  The fluid was Valvoline's DOT 4 Synthetic,
and other than that weird occurrence, I've had good results with
it.  SpeedBleeders kind of plead ignorance to my problem, and I fixed it by
applying a thin layer (just a few wraps) of Teflon plumber's tape to the
screw threads, which has worked fine.

Overall, I'd have to say that the SpeedBleeders screws are worth having,
and perhaps now, 2 years after my purchase, those 2 problems I experienced
no longer exist.  In any case, they were both easily fixed.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce