re: Speedo cable still loose in the tranny

>     On my 73 spider, the speedo cable does not seat all the way in on the
> tranny. Even after fully screwing down the "cap" that holds the cable to the
> tranny, the cable itself is still loose in the tranny. I think something is
> missing. Is there a hard part that should fit underneath the screw on holder
> device?
> TIA,    randy long

Me too!,
I can't comment on why it's like that. (my guess is a manufacturing error or
somebody is selling a substitute cable that is just very, very close to the
OEM Alfa cable.)

Anyway, What I did was to wrap (very neatly) the inside post, 4~6 times around
with solder (the kind you would use to solder copper pipe and not the really
thin electronic type) ... use the I.D. (and depth) of the tranny opening to
gauge how many wraps are needed ... This builds a pliable "spacer" between the
post and the cap. When the cap is screwed on, the solder will take up the
slack. (Thinking about it now, I don't think the tranny will get hot enough to
melt the solder).

Tim Lentz
Tampa, FL
1974 Spider