driveline whine

My newly acquired 73 gtv has a loud whine that seems
to come from somewhere in the driveline.  It only
whines on acceleration or when going uphill, and the
noise goes away when I lift my foot off the gas pedal.
 The front seal of the differential is leaking and
there is some driveshaft play over there.  Would that
be a bad pinion bearing?  Something that could be
replaced with the axle on the car?  Could it be the
center support bearing whining?

Thanks a lot
Vangelis
Mountain View, CA