Re: alfa news

> > from luca ciferri,
> >
> > "Executives said Alfa Romeo would add the sporty GTA to the 147 range by
> > year-end.
> > A new small coupe based on the 147, the Sprint, will be added next year
> > when the
> > entire Alfa range will be facelifted.
> >
> > A new 156 will follow in late 2004 and a new 156 Sportwagon derivative is
> > scheduled
> > to arrive six months later.
> >
> > In late 2004, Alfa also plans to introduce a limited production version of
> > a new sports
> > car. The new model will be derived from the Brera concept car shown by
> > Italdesign-
> > Giugiaro at the Geneva show in March.
> >
> > In 2005, Alfa will launch a new Spider and a crossover model based on the
> > Premium
> > vehicle architecture Fiat is developing with Saab and General Motors."
> >
> > So it appears that the US would most likely start off with the
> > "157", "Spider" and "Brera", maybe followed by "157 Sportwagon",
> > and "167".  I assuming that the "Brera" and "GTV" should be seperate
> > products.  I'm hoping that we will still a reasonably priced sports-
> > car out of Italy (ala Fiat Coupe` Turbo, Alfa GTV...), not a 'limited
> > production' car that would be priced like a Boxter S...
> >
> > Kind of worried about this "crossover" vehicle though.  Oh man...
> > these are Detroit words...
> >
> > Ryan
> > ps. for Lancia-fans, it looks like the next Lancia Lybra will be a cousin
> > of the new 2003 Saab 9-3.  not bad, very rigid frame...
>
>Where did you see this and how recent is it? It was reported last week by
>AutoWeek that Fiat has scraped this plan altogether after a disastrous
>financial performance report. AutoWeek's European sources were quoted as
>saying that the money just doesn't exist to develop any of these new
>vehicles at Alfa.

The AutoWeek article is B.S.  The reference above is dated 5/20/02,
http://www.autonewseurope.com/stories520/fiat4520.htm
Before this Ciferri article came out, I already posted to the digest that the
AutoWeek article smelled foul... and seemed to be just causing more
speculation.  Maybe it is meant to help certain investors!?

I've talked with someone at Fiat-GM Powertrain that also says that this
the AutoWeek article is B.S., and DEFINITELY Fiat/Alfa are working on
the new products (20 new models by 2005 between Alfa/Lancia/Fiat).
The AutoWeek article would lead you to believe that Alfa has just given
up.. because if they are not making the Spider or Brera, etc., or anything
from this new Fiat-GM "Premium" platform, what are they doing?
Playing card games? heh..

take care,
Ryan