Re: Water Pump questions

At 03:55 PM 5/20/02 -0400, George Hovis wrote:

>I'm trying for the first time to replace the waterpump on my '74 GTV and I'm
>looking for some sage advice.
>
>There doesn't seem to be enough room to get it off the lower bolts and the
>gear for the Tach without removing the pully.  Anyone know any tricks?  Once I
>removed the radiator (and scraped off 28 years of grime off the front of the
>block) I noticed that one of my 9 bolts was broken and the nut was missing.
>There didn't seem to be any evidence of leakage.  It is the bolt on the right,
>underside, as you face the engine.  Is it possible to replace the bolt, if so
>how?  Can I reinstall one bolt short?
>
>Any help appreciated ..

George

This question comes up time and again, and the first time I posted the
answer to the Digest was around 10 years back. However, there'll still be
people saying that it can't be done this way and you definitely have to
take the crank pulley off which turns this simple replacement into a pig of
a job.

Ok. To get the water pump off, take off all the nuts that hold the pump to
the front cover - 10 mm wrench. Remove the tacho drive - 2 little bolts (8
mm?).
Remove the 2 bottom studs ( I remove just one but its easier with 2
removed) with either a stud extractor, or by the double-nutting method: put
one of the 10 mm nuts on the stud and wind it on about half way. Now put on
another nut onto the same stud and using 2 wrenches tighten the nuts
against one another. This will lock the nuts onto the thread. If you had
done this properly, you should be able to wind the stud out of the front
cover by using a wrench on the bottom nut.
The water pump can then be removed without it fouling against the pulley.

If you have enough threads showing on the broken stud, you may be able to
use this method to get it out, otherwise a stud extractor would be a great
investment. Once you've got the stud out, you may be able to reuse it by
putting a nut on the end and locking it on there - weld, Loctite etc - to
turn it into a bolt.

Good luck with your project. Regards.

Les Singh, Wellington, New Zealand.