Training arm bushings

George Schweikle raised an interesting concern about the use of
polyurethane bushings in 105 trailing arms.  He wrote "Jack Beck (Orion
Engineering) cautioned me to only install these [poly bushings] in one and
of the trailing arm. If these are installed in both ends, the body mounting
points are subject to excessive force when the body and axle are at
different angles during cornering."

I'd be interested to know which end Jack recommended.  Off the top of my
head, I'd think the rear.  At the rear end, the rigid axle would seem to
prevent the ends of the trailing arms from moving transversely, but the
entire axle can move from side to side as a unit, requiring some ability to
pivot horizontally, as well as vertically, at the front.

FWIW, when the rules allow it, dedicated race cars can use spherical metal
joints in both ends of the trailing arm.  These remove all the "slop" of
rubber bushings, but still allow the arm to pivot on both axes.

Dana