Dash install and Mini comments

I noted George Graves comments about his dashtop being too small for
GTV6.  So,  with that in mind,  I kept the GTV6 in the garage and waited
for some cooler weather,  to keep the possibility of heat expanding the
dash down a bit.

For fitting,  I removed things including the steering wheel.  Making
some space above the HVAC box is a pain,  so I just moved that down a
bit while fitting.

Its best to have two people pushing the dashtop on.  Then,  have plenty
of cut up cardboard pieces that can be folded and wegded between the
windshield and the leading edge of the dashtop.  Be careful not to cover
the VIN tag on the left.  Then,  have some heavy, flat weight to place
in places.  My big concern was fitting the dash around the glove box
well,  so that the left side below the steering column wasn't exactly
fitted just right,  but not bad.  There may be some triming to do to
reinstall the defroster cups and side vents.

After cleaning up,  it is looking pretty good.  Really does help to
take your time with this.

On Sat, I went over to Towson BMW, north of Baltimore,  to check out
the new Mini Cooper.  I had a nice visit, as Ed,  a consultant,  was on
hand to wait on me.  He isn't a salesperson,  just a part time
consultant who used to race Minis and GTAs and 750cc Abarths years ago.
Very nice gentleman.  The Mini experience is something else,  from the
well conceived showroom, accessories,  staff, and the car.  I wouldn't
mind at all owning a new Mini and maybe one day.  Funny,  lifting the
hood,  its a Dodge Neon engine,  1600 cc.  Remember,  the talk of the
BMW-Chrysler joint venture to produce a lower cost engine and trannies
in Brazil.  Well,  I don't know what effect the Mercedes buyout of
Chrysler had,  but they are using a most indentifiable motor in the new
Mini.  Its smooth and reasonably good running.  Steering and handling
are very good.  The entire car is a great deal of fun.  Which is
somewhat galling.  Here,  BMW comes along and revives a brand with what
seems like great success,  and Fiat can't do a damn thing right for the
US.    Oh,  there are even little reminders the car is produced in
England,  as I failed to open the hood of  a  supercharged model as the
latch mechanism broke....   :)

Ciao,  Jay