re: rear axle limit straps

George Schweickle responded to a question about whether rear axle limit
straps should be removed on track or autorcross cars to prevent lifting the
inside wheel in corners: "I remember the discussion, and believe a
recommendation to lengthen the straps was attributed to Alan Ward...without
limit straps, the shock absorbers might over extend or the flexible brake
line might become the limit."

I would share this concern.  I wouldn't remove the straps, but they can be
lengthened, if necessary, by replacing the steel plates that join the ends
with longer ones.

FWIW, I'm not convinced that removing or lengthening the limit straps
really does much to solve wheelspin problems.  In my limited experience
with 2 different GTVs, it's not the straps but binding in the T-bar system
that tends to lift the inside wheel at corner exit.  This tendency seems to
be worse in cars that have been tightened up with hard bushings.