squeaking and nosediving

Hello everyone,

Even with new brake pads my 82 Spider has squeaky brakes.  I am inclined to
suspect the master cylinder, here's why:

1) The braking action is not smooth but seems to have two "phases" - soft
and hard ON

2) The squeal is random, moving from brake to brake (and sometimes not at
all).  The brakes are properly bled.

3) When I got the car the resovoir was nasty and impossible to clean up.
The car still had what must be the original brake fluid (107000 miles).  It
has since been changed but I think the damage has been done.

Thoughts?  Individual caliper action is good and the calipers are not
internally corroded.  I'm thinking MC, what do you think?