R&T Brake figures

I concede my memory failed me on this one. R&T dropped the brake fade test
from their full road test format as they had not encountered significant
fade for many years. Why they continue to calculate and print the brake
swept area is a mystery to me. There is absolutely no correlation that I
can see between this figure and braking performance. The only possible one
I could see is fade resistance, which is not a factor in modern cars.

The only rough correlation I have seen in R&T published figures between
braking distances and another listed item is tire size, brand and model.
Short stoppers tend to run expensive high performance tires. Hmmmm...

Cheers

Michael

(adding "arrogant" to my list of important personal attributes. I note all
the postings proving my somewhat in cheek assertion as to the sensitivity
of Americans about things American, including themselves)
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L