Re Dying 88 spider

Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:03:34 -0700
From: "Dave Anderson" <aviox@domain.elided>
Subject: 88 Spider sometimes dies.

I thought I was having low voltage starting problems. But now had car die
while idling. On restart she started to run than died and would not
start. I tried again 5-10 min and she started. What could be the most
likely causes?

Thanks Dave

Assume this is Motronic?
How long had you run it for before it died?
Could be the vent system for the fuel tank not letting air in to replace
the fuel causing a suction in the fuel tank.
If the blockage is incomplete the air might get in enough after 5-10
minutes to get it going again.
Could also be the fuel pressure regulator not working so that the mixture
goes rich at idle. This could flood it after a few minutes/seconds idling.
Could be an air leak after the air flow meter letting unmetered air in.
Could be the idle control valve not working? What RPM does it idle at?
Normal, high or too low?

Take off the fuel cap and listen for a sucking sound to check tank vent
system.
Check fuel rail pressure with vaccuum pipe to FPR connected then
disconnected.
Check hoses for leaks.
Idle control valve can be temporarily made redundant by adajusting the
throttle stop to provide the idle air flow.

Any more information to share?