Weber 40DCOM carbs (not DCOE)?

A friend is considering purchasing some of the Weber
DCOM carbs on eBay.  I know *nothing* of DCOM, but was
hoping that some of our European subscribers might
know something of them (and I am assuming they were
used on European-market Alfas, which is why I'm asking
the Digest).

His application is on a vintage racing vehicle with a
1400cc engine; assuming that they are compatible with
the more well-known DCOE carbs in regard to chokes,
jets, emulsion tubes, etc., he'll be able to have them
set up properly on a dynamometer once they're in
place.

So that's the question -- is there anything about
these carbs that would make them unsuitable for
competition use, or that would make them difficult to
tune for competition use?

Thanks,

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon