speedo question

To all,
I found some graphite as advised and tried to put some in the opening in the
back of the speedometer head and the noise seems to have gotten worse! I
thought that the problem awas in the head and still think it is. The next
thing I am going to tyr is to put the sppedometer completely out of the car
and make sure that the powered graphite has an opportunity to get well into
the speedometer, maybe, because of the angle , hardly any got into the cable
input hole. This leads to my next question, I have a 79 spider and there ate
5 things hooked to the back of the speedo, the speedometer cable, 3 light
sockets and another cable which also has a spring type sheath like the
speedo cable and seems to go to the odometer . Is this correct , or where
does it go? and should I try to  take this lead off to do what I mentioned
above? As always , I look forward to your advice. By the way, the guy at
work who mentioned about the speedometer oil, syas he has some at home and
will bring it in tomorrow , I'll tell ya'll waht it says.
Thanks,
Pat Crawford
Dallas