Americans may be unsophisticated but

They sure are sensitive.

The Formula One circus left the US because US cannot supply enough fans to
make it pay, except for the very interesting recent development at Indy,
which was my point I think. Watkins Glen may have been a fine race track in
the 60's but I doubt it could be brought up to modern F1 standards. Any
other US location tried for F1 has been a joke.

NASCAR may appeal to some but the idea of more or less identical cars
circulating an oval track while large crowds wait for something interesting
to happen (i.e. death or injury) reminds me more of the coliseum of ancient
Rome than any modern sporting event outside the US (well maybe bull
fighting). Now I concede that NASCAR builds awfully fast cars that are
difficult to drive, but really...so what. Like the space shuttle, with
enough money and enough horsepower, you can do just about anything (how the
heck did the US space program get into this, it isn't a spectator sport,
last I heard anyway)

As for the lack of competent US racing drivers well, there aren't any at
the moment who can compete at the level required in Formula One. Mario
Andretti (just barely an American BTW) was and is an immensely skilled
driver who can race anything and do well and let us not forget that truly
brilliant American Phil Hill, or Dan Gurney for that matter. There are
quite a few Canadian drivers who succeed in US racing (it's the icy winter
roads that give us the edge) out of all proportion to our population
(around 15% of US total) Apart from that the best current "US" drivers are
furriners. Any F1 driver who comes over automatically does well. The real
F1 champions just clean up. Plus it was a European car design that
transformed US open wheel racing.

Sorry, but US football, US baseball, and now US style ice hockey ( how the
US has ruined that game is criminal, any takers? I'll explain how exciting
it used to be compared to the boring pap now served up by US dominated
hockey) has the entire world yawning and wondering just why Americans turn
out in droves and spend huge sums of money to watch. Baseball is like
watching paint dry, it even makes cricket look somehow cerebral. US (and
Canadian) football where players rarely kick the ball, let alone do
anything interesting with it, is equally dull. US auto racing is dull as
dishwater (and passing is NOT an indicator of excitement, rather of
artificially induced equality. A bit like chaining equal weights to the
legs of  all the Christians before unleashing the lions, so as to give
everyone a fair chance!)

There is a reason no one else in the entire world is interested in any of
the US sporting events you know.

So, continue with your illusion that drag racing is somehow an entertaining
sporting event (mimicked apparently by US vehicle buyers' obsession with
0-60 times instead of real world performance, may the new 6.0 litre
Cadillac Escalade puleeze step up to the plate) and try to ignore the
popularity of monster truck "racing" and (gawd luv 'em) competitive swamp
buggy "racing" and leave me to my illusion that F1 is the premiere sporting
event in the world, next to World Cup Soccer, and America's Cup....

Cheers

and happy Memorial Day everyone, let's see as much racing under the yellow
as we can please so as to preserve the illusion that money doesn't make
faster cars.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L