re: Wet Brakes

Dave wrote:

>Hello, listers.
>Every time I drive my 87 Spider Quadrifoglio on a rainy day I must be
>especially careful, because if it has been a while since I last braked, then
>they are quite ineffective until after I have gotten on the binders for a
>bit and they have heated up and dried off...
>This happens "everytime" now, but I've had the car for about 11 years and I
>do not recall that this happened when I first owned it  - maybe it did and I
>just don't remember.  Anyway, it surely happens now everytime it rains.

>Any thoughts?

Hi Dave,
Any chance that the PO removed the backing plates/dust shields from your front
brakes?  Or a mechanic did so when you had brake work done?  Or have you
swapped your original wheels for something more open?  Any of these could be
allowing more water to reach the disc, which could cause the problem you are
having.

Another thought is you might have a leaky caliper or wheel bearing seal, and
the fluid/grease/oil is getting on the discs and pads.  This could be
exacerbated by rain, might not feel so bad when dry.

There was a lengthy "disc" -ussion in recent digests about the merits (or lack
thereof) for cross-drilled, slotted, grooved, warped, rusty, carbon-fibre,
etc., etc., rotors, and all it proved is that we all have opinions, and some
of us also have pretty impressive technical knowledge (not me).  Check to make
sure that all the factory parts are in place and in good working order,
chances are your problem stems from some fault there.  If you want to use
something other than factory rotors, please do if it makes you happy, and
unless someone else pays for your parts don't feel obligated to take their
advice.  Mine included.

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR