RE: speedo cable

> This last weekend I changed out my speedometer cable and was advised that
> the cable came prelubed form the factory and that I didn't have to add any
> grease. However, after a test run yesterday, it sounds like it is not
> spinning freely enough, similar to the sound that happened before it broke
> off before. What are some things I should check out, should I take it out
> and add some grease maybe?

You shouldn't have to add grease.

Question - when you replaced the cable, did you replace the entire cable
(inner and outer sheath) or just the inner cable?

Most cable failures, in my experience, are the result of a kink in the outer
sheath, due to the routing.  If you replace just the inner cable, and the
outer cable has a kink in it, then the new inner cable will eventually
stress at the same place the old one did.

If you replaced the entire (inner and outer) cable, make sure the routing is
correct, and there are no kinks in it.  Try to follow the factory routing
carefully, and make sure you secure the outer sheath with all the original
clamps.

Are you sure it's the cable, and not the speedo itself, that is making the
noise?

bs