71 GTV Dash Cap

I need to replace the dash cap on my 1750 GTV.  The current dash cap has
cracked and appears to be covering some pretty bad cracks.  What's the
best treatment to do on the dash before I put the new cap on?  I was
thinking of using Bondo to level off the surface first.  Also are all
the dash caps pretty much the same, or are there some to avoid?

Dick Stachowiak

71 Spider
71 GTV