I Don't Get It

Two things I don't get:  First, why is everyone so upset with Ferrari?
Such team tactics have been standard fare at Ferrari whenever they were
in a position to use them (which admittedly hasn't been all that often
until recently).  They play to win.  Wouldn't you?  Who was it who said:
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"?  I'm just glad they
are once again in a position to use these hard ball tactics.

Second, why would anyone looking for good and free advice at the foot of
a master such as AlfaFred be surprised and upset to get his hand bitten
for asking what appeared to Fred at the time to be a stupid question?
Good advice on fixing Alfas is hard to get at any price, so tough it out
and get on down the road.  Fred doesn't have to give free Alfa advice
and he doesn't have to be polite when he does (though it certainly is
appreciated when he is).

In case anyone wondered why the question seemed dumb to Fred, my guess
is that he thought that the request for long distance diagnosis of rod
knock suggested someone too cheap to have his car examined by an expert.
I can understand both this perspective and the countervailing
perspective that this request was put out simply to start a discussion
in the hopes that it would lead to something interesting.  That I think
is the trouble with the internet -- subtle nuances get lost in black and
white.

While there are lots of folks on this list that love our cars and do
their own work to maintain them to a higher standard, there are also
some folks just looking to cut corners.   In my view, those people ought
to by a Ford.  Those cars are built that way (cut corners), so no harm
in maintaining them that way.  But it's a free world, so drive whatever
you like!

George Pond