RE:J. Hertzman and Bandini

I certainly cannot add anything to Mr. Hertzman's eyewitness account of
Lorenzo Bandini's crash at Monaco in '67, except to add that I remember
watching ABC's "Wide World of Sports broadcast of it a week or so later. I was
a kid in high school in '67 and had been an enthusiastic Grand Prix fan for
several years  and made a point to watch the broadcast. His description of
that helicopter is right on. I remember watching the footage taken by the
helicopter and saw how the rotor wash fanned those flames. That crash has
haunted me for 35 years. I have always felt that Bandini had a chance of being
rescued until  that helicopter showed up. I remember poor Bandini hanging half
out of his car when the flames totally engulfed it.
ABC was severely criticized for the actions of the helicopter crew during the
attempted rescue of Bandini and the graphic footage it broadcast of that
crash. S**t talk about blood lust!
Things did begin to change for the better after Bandini's crash at Monaco and
the one result we all experience IS THE LACK OF GRAPHIC CRASH FOOTAGE in every
race broadcast since then! You all notice that no detailed footage of drivers
involved in crashes is ever broadcast.
Sadly Lorenzo Bandini's death was only a portent of the carnage to come over
the next five or six years!