Dimatteo rudeness

>Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:15:53 -0400
>From: FERDINANDO DI MATTEO <aroctek@domain.elided>
>Subject: Rod Knock

>Mr. Harris, when you get to be close to 89 years old, if you get there
>and I hope you will while being of sound body and mind, you too can say
>any god damned thing you want to.

are you for real? your 88 years old? and still driving?and still giving people
advice they dont need?
and BTW being that old DOES NOT give you the right to be downright rude to
people, no matter what the question was. Remember, the mark of a gentleman is
not what he says, but what he doesnt say. I was brought up to beleive if you
dont have anything good to say, then keep your mouth shut.
> I am sick and tired of stupid
>questions and lazy ignorant people who won't buy a workshop manual or
>even spend a few bucks to make the vehicles they drive safe for
>themselves let alone the rest pf the driving public.   It is really too
>bad our government does not make it necessary to get a drivers license
>like they have to in other countries.

our government dont make people get drivers licenses? I guess i wasted my time
at the DMV then didnt I? and when does a standard workshop manual actually
help in diagnosing strange problems?
I have manuals BUT still run across things (such as strange sounds) that only
people with experience would know how to fix.

> Intelligent people who invest
>large sums to buy cars and expect to make them last must learn how to
>keep them running properly.  Those with scads of easy money can and do
>pay for expert service.   The cheap skates who like exotic vehicles for
>$50 bucks run into problems and then beg for cheap help.

I do beleive most people on this digest do their own work because they like
to, and because it saves them money from the asshole mechanics (like yourself)
that seems to think "its an exotic car so they must can afford my outrageous
fees". I dont think anyone wants to waste money on needless repairs. Where do
you get an exotic vehicle for $50.00?? I'm sure most people even the Alfa
folks pay at least several thousand for their Alfas. I do my own repairs
because i can and because i dont trust the crappy mechanics that know NOTHING
about the special needs of my Alfa.

>As for the questions about rod knock,  There is not one person in this
>Digest that can accurately tell what a noise is without actually hearing
>it himself!  Guesses are just that, a waste of time and bandwidth.   He
>had 50 bucks to buy a rat trap, he could dig up a very few bucks to have
>a mechanic listen to it for a minute or two.

There isnt a mechanic anywhere that will do an engine diagnostic (especially
an Alfa) for less than 100.00, and YES you can tell whats going on by a
description of sounds, I have done it and I know of other mechanics that can
do this also over the phone, if you know your stuff, then it is possible, just
more difficult. Seems to me that you dont have the experience to do that Mr.
Dimatteo.
(and yes, i DO think its a rod bearing going bad, serious but you can drive it
for a while UNLESS noise gets noticablly worse.)

>Enough said and I don't
>need a lecture from you or anyone else!  Ciao and have a nice weekend.
>Fred Di Matteo

yes thats the only thing we agree on there, you have said enough Mr. Dimatteo,
if you are not going to help someone then just keep your smartass mouth shut,
we dont need that kind of nasty attitude here, and i wouldnt take advice or
ask it from you even if i had to PUSH my frickin Alfa down the road. and
lastly YES you do need this lecture and i hope for your sake you have learned
something.
If you want friends you should learn how to BE a friend and not be rude (you
do have experience with being friendly dont you? you have a nice weekend too.

When I have a problem I ask the digestibles and usually they come through for
me, even if it is a dumb question. And when I can contribute to helping out
someone I will do my very best. That qualtiy of helpfullness is what sets the
Alfa people apart from others. If i cant help then i just stay quiet and dont
give out rude and unhelpful remarks.  *gettin down off my soapbox now*

(shame i had to say all that to him when the original rod knock quiestion WAS
perfectly legitimate question. remember, the only dumb quiestion is the one
that isnt asked.)

cheerio,
Keith S.
73 spider