Heater fan in a 91 Spider

Hi
The heater fan in my Spider has a speed dependent whine that sounds like a
card in the spokes in a bicycle wheel.
Is there a relatively straightforward way to get access to the fan to
remove whatever is in there? The manual starts with step 1: Remove the
entire instrument panel and trim ... which sounds like a setup for eight
hours of frustration and the family telling me I'm ignoring them on Mothers
day.
Many thanks
Simon