Roll Pins, Are they Necessary?

I have an '85 Veloce purchased back in 1998. The prior owner told me it need
a new head gasket so I though I was getting a bargain. Turns out the head was
cracked so 4 years later and used head and more than I wanted to spend, I put
the car back together. It runs great for now. Problem is the roll pins didn't
align with the head. I removed the roll pins and just used the square cut O
rings that centerline provide with the head kit. My question is; are the roll
pins required? and what exactly do they do? Am I looking at another failed
head soon?

Thanks, Dimitri Dolgov