164 air con to 134a....

Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:14:54 -0400
From: Jan Ben <ben@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 AC conversion Q

Has anyone DIY converted from R-12 to 134a?  The SD compressor on the
164 doesn't seem to be on the "bad" compressor list, so it should be
able to take it, if done properly..
thx
jan

Jan,

Maybe it's because it's Florida and taxing on a/c, but I'd avoid going to R134
on a 91-93 164. The system is marginal as it is and 134 is 20% less
efficient... Down here on a hot day it won't even cool.

My 168 is in a shop today to sort out my 60 degree air, likely the expansion
valve. With any a/c work, don't cut corners... it will work best if restored
to correct specs.

Some folks have wanted to remove the POA valve as it looks to be a
restriction, but a friend of mine did this and the car is no colder trhatn the
car with it...

I'm toying with having a bigger condenser made or looking at a LS condenser
but I'd be happy to have my existing system working at 100%...

Bill
Mastro Motors Inc. 800.683.2532
Subaru, MRT Performance parts for WRX
http://mastrosubaru.com