re: 1750 berlina engine removal

Mark Miner wrote:
>1. I removed the bolts to seperate the drive shaft right in front of the
>Universal Joint and unbolting the ball bearing mount but was not able to
>seperate the shaft. (I ended up unbolting the transmission from the flexdisc
>and coaxing the transmission loose as we pulled it. I wasn't worried about
>damage to the flexdisc since I was replacing it anyway.) Is there another
>trick or does it just need some "convincing" to seperate the shaft halves?

If I'm understanding this, you've removed the 4 nuts and 4 bolts joining
the front and rear drive shaft sections, but can't separate the front from
the rear. There isn't supposed to be anything besides the 4 bolts,holding
the two halves of the driveshaft together.  They could be stuck together by
rust; perhaps you need a bigger hammer.

>2. I need to replace the transmission mount. Will I need a press to do this?
>Is there a way to do this without a press?

The factory tool for this job is a very nice screw press.  If you don't
happen to have one of those, a crude but effective alternative also
involves a big hammer, plus a socket (or other kind of metal cylinder) that
will fit inside the ring on the tail of gearbox and butt against the outer
steel sleeve of the support bushing.  Put the socket up against the bushing
and beat on the end of it with the hammer until the bushing falls out the
other side.

I've tried to come up with a more elegant way to do this job in the
interest of not beating on things, if it can be avoided.   Although I
haven't tried it yet, it seems possible to reproduce the factory approach
with a couple of sockets and a large C clamp.

Dana Loomis