AC and heat in 164

Interesting post from Bill re a shut off valve installed in the heater
line. Reminds me of my 65 Triumph 2000 Sedan which had an inline block
heater, incorrectly installed so as to bypass the heater core! I installed
an ordinary in line plumbing tap so as to allow me to manually re divert
the coolant to the heater.

As far as dug sedon's query, in addition to the dreaded stepper problem the
foam seals on the heat flap can disintegrate or the door itself could warp
which would allow warm air to leak into the cabin air supply.

One variation of the shut off valve would be to partially close the valve
so as to allow for some heat if needed, letting the AC cool down the supply
for hot days. The ACC uses a feedback loop so could care less how much heat
is being flowed through the heater.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L