spider missing missing?

ok, new weird problem in the 86 spider
grad. it's missing, accompanied with
a clack clack sound from near the distributor.

everytime it clacks, the engine misses and catches.
it's been getting worse over the past  two days,
so I'm attributing it to something mechanical.

I thought it may be  something to do with the VVT
(a mystery device I don't understand) but unplugging
it had no effect at idle.

I'm guessing it's not a waterpump bearing, because
of the way that the clack clack sound is directly
related to the engine missing (a visible relationship).

could it be the bearing in the distributor? I just
had that fixed not 3 months ago...????

My early diagnosis is that the distributor shaft is
very loose, causing the rotor to hit the pins on the
distributor cap, causing the clacking sound and poor
running.

anyone hear of this one before?

dave sisson
86 grad houston