'63 Spider electrical question-help

Hey all-
Well, the Balocco finally went to the shop for the resto-upgrade extravaganza
(3.0 motor, pistons, cams header, suspension, rollcage,seats, paint, etc. etc.)
More on this project to follow including some pics and cost tracking.
Anyway, now it's time to deal with the '63 Spider. The problem? It's dead. No
cranking, lights, horn-no electrics. Last summer I had the generator and
regulator replaced (the little red "dynamo" light was on). All seemed fine. This
winter, I noticed the battery was on it's last legs. Last time I tried to start
it, the battery pretty much died on me. Went and got a new one, replaced it
--nothing! No start, no lights etc. At first I thought one of the battery cables
(negative) was partially frayed, so I got a new one. No difference. My suspicion
(based upon speaking with some folks and trying to navigate / translate my
Italian owner's manual) is that the starter may be bad. If so, how difficult?
Any ideas? I am tempted to get the car flatbeded to the shop at this point, but
I'm not sure if I could live with myself if I "wussed out" so easily.

-JT